Purpose and Strategy
The Reproductive Rights Huddle advocates for women and their right to choose the reproductive options that are the best for them, their families, and their future. We will:
- Collaborate, learn, and support allied organizations also engaged in reproductive choice.
- Develop effective relationships with certain legislators and key staff.
- Monitor and address regulations and legislation at affiliated agencies and departments.
- Watch for local legislation that impedes on women’s right to choose.
The goal of the group is to educate, inform, and help empower local indivisible groups and activists to hold their legislators and government accountable and support reproductive rights in Texas.
Issue Priorities for the 2021 Legislative Session
- Monitor legislation as it moves through the session utilizing TX Lege Online (TLO). Testify and engage with legislators, affiliates, and the public as appropriate.
- Monitor regulations as they are presented at affiliate agencies such as Health & Human Services (DHHS). Testify and engage with legislators, affiliates, and voters as appropriate.
- Work with allied groups in a collaborative and supportive manner.
- Watch for local “sanctuary cities for the unborn” legislation and engage as appropriate.
- Check on reproductive rights legislation in Washington DC and engage as appropriate at the local and state level.
How the Huddle will Function
- Members of the huddle should be passionate about protecting women’s reproductive rights.
- Members will be asked to be informed and engaged throughout the session.
- We will hold regular conference calls and provide members the opportunity to work collaboratively so that they are part of a team effort.
- Members will engage and educate the public and the Legislature through issue briefs, Calls to Action (CTAs) and legislative visits and contacts.
- Members will reach out and collaborate with allied advocacy groups to support our cause and strengthen our voices.
Allied Advocacy Groups
- Greater Texas: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-greater-texas (Austin to DFW and West to El Paso and Lubbock)
- Gulf Coast: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-gulf-coast (Houston to the Gulf Coast and Louisiana)
- South Texas: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-south-texas (San Antonio to the RGV)
NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League)
Jane’s Due Process (support for young women)
Center for Reproductive Rights (legal team)
Advocates for Women of Color
- Sister Song: https://www.sistersong.net/reproductive-justice
- The Afiya Center: https://www.theafiyacenter.org/