The Education Huddle advocates for equitable access to an excellent education for all Texas public school students. We will collaborate and learn from allied organizations to develop effective advocacy resources and actions. These organizations include education advocates and teacher associations. Also, we will develop effective relationships with certain legislators and key staff. These two functions will help empower local indivisible groups and activists to hold legislators accountable and improve state education policy.
Issue Priorities for the 2021 Session
- Maintain increased funding provided by House Bill 3, 2019 Session
- Increase state funding to raise state share and address critical education issues.
- Address safety and education gaps related to COVID, specifically:
- Virtual Education and broadband access,
- Safety and education quality,
- CARES Act and similar funding sources, and
- Education options and school re-opening.
- Address problems with the accountability system /A-F Ratings/STAAR Testing.
- Address problematic impact of charter schools – expansion, funding, accountability, transparency, impact on regular schools.
- Improve mental health services and violence prevention.
- Provide quality, accessible, free, and comprehensive public pre-kindergarten.