The Education Huddle advocates for equitable access to an excellent education for all Texas public school students. We will collaborate and learn from allied organizations to develop effective advocacy resources and actions. These organizations include education advocates and teacher associations. Also, we will develop effective relationships with certain legislators and key staff. These two functions will help empower local indivisible groups and activists to hold legislators accountable and improve state education policy.
New Bill Tracker
This interactive, easy-to-use page allows users to view our top priority public education bills. The main content includes a bill summary and reason for our recommended stance. The [More] link goes to a page with in-depth information and a call to action script, plus the bill’s current status and related education committee information. Bills will update as the session progresses.
Please get familiar with the tracker and let our webmaster know what you think (also linked on the bill tracker page). What’s working? What isn’t? What would you like to see included or changed? Your input during this beta test will help us improve the tracker for our education huddle, and help us prepare to use the tracker for each of our other huddles next session!
Issue Priorities for the 2021 Session
- Maintain increased funding provided by House Bill 3, 2019 Session
- Increase state funding to raise state share and address critical education issues.
- Address safety and education gaps related to COVID, specifically:
- Virtual Education and broadband access,
- Safety and education quality,
- CARES Act and similar funding sources, and
- Education options and school re-opening.
- Address problems with the accountability system /A-F Ratings/STAAR Testing.
- Address problematic impact of charter schools – expansion, funding, accountability, transparency, impact on regular schools.
- Improve mental health services and violence prevention.
- Provide quality, accessible, free, and comprehensive public pre-kindergarten.