ACT FROM NOW THROUGH MAY
The Texas budget would get a boost by expanding Medicaid in Texas. Expanding Medicaid would save the Texas budget $100 million while providing comprehensive healthcare to 1.2 million adult Texans who earn less than $17,000 a year. Expanding Medicaid would also save county budgets the property tax dollars currently allocated to Section 1115, indigent care.
In a budget crisis in the middle of a health crisis, expanding Medicaid is a three-way win:
- provide healthcare in the midst of a pandemic
- save dollars during a budget crisis
- save property tax money
A committee hearing has not yet been scheduled on bipartisan House Bill 1741 or on House Bill 3871, but should be! And both bills should be approved!
CALL, WRITE, EMAIL
Every Texan can call, write, and email House Appropriations Committee members (contact info below) and your own representative. Ask them to hear and approve House Bill 1741 and HB 3871.
You can say…
My name is _______. I live in _________ and my zip code is ______. I am asking the representative to ensure House Bills 1741 and 3871 to expand Medicaid get hearings in the House Appropriations Committee. Expanding Medicaid would save the Texas budget $100 million while providing comprehensive healthcare to 1.2 million adult Texans who earn less than $17,000 a year. Expanding Medicaid would also save county budgets the property tax dollars currently allocated to indigent care.
In a budget crisis in the middle of a health crisis, expanding Medicaid is a must. Please ensure HB 1741 gets a hearing in committee and then gets approved! Thank you!
House Appropriations Committee
(Find more contact information here.)
- Chair: Giovanni Capriglione, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0690
- Vice Chair: Toni Rose, email@example.com, 512-463-0664
- Member: Jay Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0750
- Member: Gary Gates, email@example.com, 512-463-0657
- Member: Donna Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0631
- Member: Ann Johnson, email@example.com, 512-463-0389
- Member: Julie Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0468
- Member: John Raney, email@example.com, 512-463-0698
Professors at the Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&M University and the James A Baker Institute at Rice University, along with The CEO and President of the Perryman Group signed an open letter to Legislators asking for Medicaid Expansion.