Quick Take: There will be hearings this week (week of April 12) on several bills that would limit healthcare access for transgender children.
Senate, Monday, April 12, 9 AM
Senate State Affairs Committee hearing on SBs 1311 and 1646.
- SB 1311 would ban healthcare providers from providing gender-affirming care to transgender children.
- SB 1646 would make allowing your child to transition to be considered child abuse–even though it’s well-documented that gender-affirming care is life-saving care for these youth.
House, Wednesday, April 14, 8 AM [new time!]
House Public Health Committee hearing on HBs 1399 and HB 1424.
- HB 1399 bans healthcare professionals from providing gender-affirming medical care to transgender children.
- HB 1424 allows medical professionals to refuse to provide any medical procedure that violates their “ethical, moral, or religious beliefs,” even if the procedure in question is live-saving care.
Both of these House bills create barriers to healthcare for transgender Texans. In the middle of a pandemic, no less!
These bills, and the odious SB 29 (which would block transgender girls from participating in school athletics programs; see the CTA, are part of a coordinated assault on transgender Texans. They either target transgender Texans directly, or those who are best equipped to provide care for them–parents and healthcare providers. Worse, all of these bills have life-and-death implications, as lack of access to transition-related care corresponds strongly to suicidality in transgender youth. (See FOR MORE below.)
Every Texan can play a part in bringing these bills down and protecting transgender youth!
CONTACT COMMITTEE MEMBERS
You can call or email members of the Senate State Affairs Committee about Senate Bills 1311 and 1646 and the House Public Health Committee about House Bills 1399 and 1424 and share your opposition to them. Contact info’s below.
You can say/write…
Senate (SBs 1311 and 1646)
My name is [your name] and I live in [your city]. My zip code is [your zip code]. I calling to let you know that I adamantly oppose Senate Bills 1311 and 1646, the anti-transgender bills that are being heard by the State Affairs Committee. Gender-affirming care is life-saving care, not abuse. The decision about whether or not a transgender child will start transitioning medically is one that needs to be made by the child, their parent(s), and their doctor; not state legislators. Blocking children from receiving this care endangers their lives. I urge the Senator to vote against SBs 1311 and 1646.
House (HBs 1399 and 1424)
My name is [your name] and I live in [your city]. My zip code is [your zip code]. I wanted to let you know that I adamantly oppose two bills being heard in the Public Health Committee: House Bill 1399 and House Bill 1424, both of which would place huge barriers between transgender Texans and healthcare. Gender-affirming care is life-saving care, and the decision about whether or not a transgender child will start transitioning medically is one that needs to be made by the child, their parent(s), and their doctor; not state legislators. Further, religion should not be twisted into a tool to excuse doctors from doing their jobs and serving all Texans equally, as HB 1424 would do. I urge the Representative to vote against both HB 1399 and 1424.
You can record that you made a call in our CTA Tracker!
Senate State Affairs Committee
- Chair: Bryan Hughes, email@example.com, 512-463-0101
- Vice-Chair: Brian Birdwell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0122
- Member: Donna Campbell, email@example.com, 512-463-0125
- Member: Bob Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0102
- Member: Eddie Lucio, Jr., email@example.com, 512-463-0127
- Member: Jane Nelson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0112
- Member: Beverly Powell, email@example.com, 512-463-0110
- Member: Charles Schwertner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0105
- Member: Judith Zaffirini, email@example.com, 512-463-0121
House Public Health Committee
- Chair: Stephanie Klick, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0599
- Vice-Chair: Bobby Guerra, email@example.com, 512-463-0578
- Member: Steve Allison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0686
- Member: Elizabeth “Liz” Campos, email@example.com, 512-463-0452
- Member: Garnet Coleman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0524
- Member: Nicole Collier, email@example.com, 512-463-0716
- Member: Jacey Jetton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0710
- Member: Tom Oliverson, email@example.com, 512-463-0661
- Member: Four Price, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0470
- Member: Reggie Smith, email@example.com, 512-463-0297
- Member: Erin Zwiener, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-463-0647
MAKE AN ONLINE COMMENT (HOUSE)
You can make an online comment for the House hearing on HBs 1399 and 1424. Fill in your contact information, then select “HB 1399 by Krause” or “HB 1424 by Oliverson,” and submit your comment.
You can have our partners at the Transgender Education Network of Texas (TENT) submit your testimony on your behalf as Public Testimony. Sign up HERE. Note that you’ll need to submit testimony separately for each bill.
If you can be in Austin to testify in person:
- Senate meets in the Senate chamber. Hearing notice.
- House hearing will be in JHR Room 140. Hearing notice.
- Witness registration.
- You can watch a live video of the House hearing HERE.